Deployment in air-gapped environment

I need to deploy Linkerd in an air-gapped environment. I am planning to create the linkerd yml from install command and search for the images referred in it. I will pull the images and export as tar balls along with the CRDs. I will burn them into CDs for moving to the air-gapped environment. would that be good to bring up linkerd?

Besides when i generate the install yml, the references are to edge version, can i just find replace the edge version to stable version and deploy?

If the CLI you’re using is from a stable release, it should reference stable images, not edge images. Double-check your CLI version with linkerd version.

We have a one-liner for finding the image tags from the manifest documented here: Using A Private Docker Repository | Linkerd

But yes, your plan should work. Just test it first to make sure you have all the bits and pieces. You should also consider using --disable-heartbeat if this cluster will not have internet access.

When i issue linkerd version, i get the below information

Client version: edge-22.9.2
Server version: stable-2.12.4

The installation of edge version for client is bundled with this linkerd cli (stable). Is this fine to install? This version of installation is for production environment and looking to install stable version.

I create the install yaml as below:

linkerd install > linkerd_install.yml

This generated yaml has references to the below container images:

linkerd/controller:edge-22.9.2
linkerd/proxy:edge-22.9.2
linkerd/proxy-init:v2.0.0
linkerd/policy-controller:edge-22.9.2

The versions are all 22.X something and pointing to edge but the stable version is like 2.x. Is this correct?

If the output of linkerd version is giving you “edge-22.9.2” then you have an edge CLI, not a stable one. Please follow step 1 in the Linkerd Getting Started Guide to get a stable CLI.

Seems there was a linkerd exe in the path which was actually related to Edge. Removed it and accessed using the downloaded stable version cli and now can get stable version information for client and server. Thanks.